Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Rumor of Heroes


Here’s something I’ve noticed.
Maybe you have, too.

In one paddock is a bachelor band of 5 geldings.
Cisco, seems to be the dominant member of the group. He’s pretty pushy with the other guys. Has that when-you-see-me-coming-step-aside attitude. Doesn’t hesitate to give a nip, if a laying back of ears isn’t sufficient to get the point across.

I’m not making any judgments here. I like Cisco and he likes me. I’m just observing to see what I can learn.

Most people would pick Cisco out as the Alpha horse in that group – until meal time.
Despite Cisco kicking up quite a happy dance when I bring grain out, he DOESN’T eat first. And he doesn’t eat SECOND, either. He eats THIRD.

Buddy gets the first bucket. Buddy is very quiet, shy, even stand-offish. Has had bad experiences with people and rarely lets anyone approach him, though he may occasionally stretch his neck in to grab a bite of apple. I don’t see him horse-play much, though he might when I’m not around. And I don’t recall him being particularly assertive.
But while Cisco might have a go at grabbing somebody else’s bucket, it won’t be Buddy’s. Cisco defers to Buddy, without any action from Buddy that’s discernable to me.

What I find interesting is that the second Bucket goes to Jackson.
Back before Buddy joined this crew, Jackson was in Cisco’s paddock and Cisco was unquestionably the boss. If Cisco wanted a taste of Jackson’s grain, Jackson yielded away from the bucket.
Now, however, Jackson gets bucket number two and Cisco leaves him alone about it.
Why?
Apparently, because Jackson and Buddy have become pals. Jackson keeps Buddy between himself and Cisco and Buddy steps between them, too.

I know it's the common thing for horses to pair up within the herd, to have a “best friend” for grooming, keeping the flies off, and for security. But I wonder whether it’s also true that this team is also usually comprised of a “hero” and a “sidekick.” The hero of the pair seems to stick up for his sidekick and protect him from the more dominant horses picking on him. I’ve seen this in three pairs of horses now, for certain. Others might or might not be the case, I can’t be sure.

I guess this is another reason I prefer horses to humans.

Too bad we don't look out for each other the way some horses do.

sj

4 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Herd dynamics is always interesting to watch, it's better than TV.

Unknown said...

Yes, there are beautiful friendships between the horses. Nice you have time to watch herd dynamics and report it.

Gayle said...

Maybe that's why they call it horse sense. We all need more of it.

Jonna said...

I second Gayle on that. Horses are honest, there are no grayed lines, no angles they are trying to work. That is what I like about them. Humans?? you just never know with humans, unfortunately..

I love your observations. I have spent hours watching our little remuda and their herd interactions. I wtinessed something similar at one time. Two of the geldings that didn't necessarily seem to have much of a "bond" would defend each other in a situation where there was a threat. They continue to facinate me and I never cease to learn something new when I observie quietly from the sidelines.In my most recent post on my blog about the killer bumble bee, I was simply amazed at how well the herd interacted when JB, the stud, got spooked from a dirt biker, and broke thorugh fencing to get into the gelding pasture.. I think they sensed he was extremely bothered and no one tried to pick a fight or get hurt.It was like he was just another gelding.