Friday, April 10, 2009

Stewball: The Rest of the Story


Old Stewball was a racehorse
And I wish he were mine.
He never drank water
He only drank wine.

I bet on the chestnut
I bet on the bay.
If I'd o' bet on old Stewball,
I'd be a rich man today

The horses were led out.
They pawed at the gate.
Except for Old Stewball;
He liked to sleep late

The gate soon snapped open.
The race had begun.
The ponies all bolted --
Exceptin' for one.

Old Stewball was yawning
And lookin' quite bored.
I think he was napping.
I'm pretty sure that he snored.

He moved not a muscle
'Til the pack hit the turn
Then his eyes they did flicker
And started to burn...

He dug with a forehoof,
Gave a snort of disdain.
One twitch of his tail.
And one shake of his mane.

Then he bolted like lightning;
In a flash he was gone.
And Stewball's poor jockey
Just tried to hang on!

He outran those ponies
And -- this ain't no yarn
Before they had finished
He was back in the barn.

I tore up my ticket
And to my chagrin
I toasted Old Stewball
With my last 5th of gin.

Old Stewball was a racehorse
And I wish he were mine.
He never drank water
He only drank wine.


Stewball (Yellin/Herald/Rinzler)
Additional lyrics by Spartacus Jones.

3 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

SJ....I used to play the guitar and sing this song when I was in college. Your additional lyrics are great. What's goin on over there? You have been very quiet.

The Sweaty Equestrian said...

HA! We sing this on river trips, to an orchestra of gentle breeze, eddy break, and bad guitar. Think I'll bring your lyrics along on the next expedition. You crack me up. :) T

restoration42 said...

This is one of my all time favorite songs. Have you heard the Tarbox Ramblers version? Hey Lori, and you can SING too?