Thursday, December 17, 2009

Novel Ideas

I spend a fair amount of time wondering why things are the way they are instead of the way they could be. I mean, what the hell happened, anyway?

How did things get to be such a tawdry, fouled-up mess?


There’s a remarkable book that wrestles with that very question in a brilliant, paradigm-altering way. The story goes like this:

A guy sees an ad in the newspaper that says:

"Teacher seeks pupil, must have an earnest desire to save the world. Apply in person."

He thinks “saving the world” is the most stupid thing he’s heard in a long time, but it also echoes in his heart because he had the same stupid idea growing up in the ‘60’s.

When it comes down to it, he can’t resist answering the ad, just out of curiosity.

He goes to the address in the ad.

There’s a sign that says: “With Man gone will there be hope for gorilla?”

And he finds himself alone in a room --- with a gorilla.

But this isn’t your average gorilla.

This one is a philosopher who can communicate telepathically.

His name is Ishmael.

The guy listens to the gorilla’s story and he accepts Ishmael as his teacher. From there, this brilliant novel is a Socratic dialogue between Ishmael and his student as they reflect, discuss, argue and ponder to figure out just "how things came to be this way" for humans and the world.



Daniel Quinn wrote Ishmael in 1992. It’s the first of a trilogy including My Ishmael and The Story of B.

It’s one of the most profound things I’ve ever read, and started me asking questions I hadn’t asked before, looking at things in an entirely new way.

I can’t recommend Ishmael highly enough.

If you haven’t read it yet, do yourself a favor and put it at the top of your list.

But do yourself another favor: read My Ishmael immediately afterward.

Just trust me on that one.

You’ll see why.


sj

1 comment:

CoyoteFe said...

One of my favorites. And, one of my fvorite parts is the jellyfish story.