Tuesday, December 21, 2010

DEJA VU



It was not long after the disingenuously-named "Patriot Act" passed.

I needed some stamps and the guy at Mail and More grabbed some for me that featured Old Glory waving in the breeze.

"Got anything else?" I asked.

"What would you like?"

“Anything but goddam flags,” I told him.


He looked at me quizzically.

I'll tell you just what I told him.


There’s an inverse relationship between flags and freedom.

The more flags you see, the less freedom you have.

Remember those Nazi rallies in Nuremburg?

Flags everywhere.

EVERYWHERE.

Flags flying from every vertical object around.

Flags hanging from windows and ledges.

Flags in the hands of infants, waving them no less enthusiastically – or any more consciously – than the zombie-like adults beside them.


Whenever you start seeing a lot of flags, things are going to get bad.

Real bad.


Flags instead of brains.

Flags instead of morality.

Flags instead of questions.

Flags instead of compassion.

Flags instead of truth.

Flags instead of justice.

Flags instead of freedom.

Flags, flags flags.


I hate flags.

Burn them all.



sj

No comments: