Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Tao of Spartacus Jones: More Brandy

If you could see my pony on a night like last night – cloudless sky, a bright moon but plenty of stars --- the way he seems to glow, you’d swear he was made of moonbeams.
Restless, I stopped by the barn last night just to tuck him in. One more apple. One last kiss on the nose.
Let him get on with his moon dancing...

I decided to slice up a few apples and look in on my girl, Brandy, too.
She nickered to me as I approached, came right to me in the round pen, and pigged out on apple pieces while I easily stroked her jaw and forehead.
Almost like we were old friends.


Then today, when I approached, I didn’t have any apples.
I stayed outside the round pen. Talked to her. Let her nuzzle my apple-less hands.
Then I moved away.
And she followed.
More hand nuzzling.
I moved away.
She followed….

Very slowly, I reached in with the back of my hand and stroked lightly down the length of her nose.
And again.
And again….
I don’t know how many times. If I went too fast, she pulled away, as if wary of a left hook. But if I went slowly enough, she would allow it.
In a while, I moved on to her forehead and forelock. Brief contact first. Then longer. Then she not only allowed my rubbing her forehead, but she lowered her head a little and did some subtle chewing, letting stay in contact with her for almost 5 full seconds.
Then I moved away.
She followed...
I stayed with her a few more minutes then went on about my other business.
This was the first time she had accepted my invitation for contact WITHOUT the quid pro quo reinforcement of food. I had a feeling we’d just progressed to an important “base” in out romance.



At feeding time, I took her grain bucket in and again laid her halter inside of it to oblige her to poke her nose through it to get to her grain. This was the third time I’d done that with her and she did her part without hesitation.
While she ate, I offered her touch on the jaw, forehead and poll – some she accepted, some she declined. Then she began to eat putting her head VERY far into the halter.
I caressed her poll with the crownpiece.
Finally, I just let go of it and it fell into place behind her ears.
This did startle he a little, and she withdrew, trotted a lap around the pen with the unclipped halter jingling on her head. But she didn’t panic, didn’t seem upset. Just taken somewhat by surprise.
She decided it wasn’t important enough to forego the rest of her grain, and came back to her bucket. I offered her the bucket so I could reach under her chin and fasten the clip. I was afraid if she tossed her head the loose snap might hurt her. I fastened it while she ate and either she didn’t notice or didn’t care.

This halter is REAL loose on her. I’d made it as big as possible so she could slip her head into it easily. Probably could have put it on two horses at once. So I wouldn’t be surprised if she took it off during the night. But in the meantime, even if it feels a little awkward, like your first pair of Cuban-heeled boots, she has a chance to get comfortable with it. See that it won’t harm her.

But more important to me, I hung out with her afterward as she ate some hay. She even took some from my hand. So I think she’s ok with the way this happened.
I didn’t put a halter on her head.
SHE put her head into the halter.

Tomorrow I’ll have to see if we’re still ok, or if she thinks I owe her an apology.

sj

7 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

SJ ...there are a lot of "experienced" horse people who could learn from you...I hope nothing happened with the halter being so loose (that could get caught in some way). This is like reading a great novel. Can't wait for the next chapter....Please work on that picture would you? Have you trained horses before, or is this all coming from your gut and the people you have studied? I'm impressed.
Lori

Spartacus Jones said...

Thanks, Lori!

I've read everything I can get my hands on and have watched what others do. But mostly I'm trusting my gut. I remember how some people have treated me -- and then I try to do the opposite. :)

But I never think of it as ME training a HORSE; it's the other way around. I'M the one who has to learn how to communicate in a way that they will understand.

sj

Victoria Cummings said...

I'm so happy that Brandy is learning to trust you - she has every reason to. I agree with Lori though about the halter. Please be careful so she doesn't get it caught on anything. I use break-away halters on my horses just to be safe. It's good that you're trusting your gut - I think that's exactly what horses do and understand best.

restoration42 said...

Congratulations! You have received the "I Love Your Blog" Award...go here to pick it up: http://babayagasmirror.blogspot.com/

Thanks for your wonderful blog!

Cherie

Spartacus Jones said...

Thank you, Victoria. I'm using a halter with a break-away leather crown piece, too.

sj

Spartacus Jones said...

Cherie,

What a lovely thing to say. Thank you. I'm pleased you like my blog.

sj

Victoria Cummings said...

SJ - There's an award waiting for you on my blog.