Thursday, October 30, 2008

Row v Wade?

I’ve been having some very spirited discussions as a result of my two preceding analogies. A little like playing soccer with a beehive instead of a ball. But that’s all right. I’m tougher than I look. So I thought I’d try just one more…



You’re in a big boat, rowing across the lake.
You become aware that you're boat is taking on water.
You have two options: bail or row.

Your group – none of whom can swim very well-- quickly divides up into a pro-rowing faction and a pro-bailing faction.
Let’s call them the Rowpublicans and the Bailoutcrats.
They each present a pretty good case for their respective approaches, what with several engineering students in each group. Some of them, it turns out come from long lines of Bailers or Rowers, and can easily and proudly sing the praises of each of their family traditions.

But the trouble is this: the maximum amount of water you can bail out per minute, if everyone bails, is LESS than the amount you’re taking on.
If you bail, you’ll eventually just drown.

On the other hand, the minimum time it will take, at the maximum speed at which you can row, to get within wading distance of shore, if everyone rows, will be greater than the time it takes for you to take on enough water to sink you in deep water.
If you row, you’ll eventually just drown.

Now, the Rowpublicans and the Bailooutcrats realize that they’re going to have to either work together or go down to the bottom together. So they put their minds into overdrive to calculate just what combination of bailing and rowing might get them to shore safe and sound. What with gallons per minute, coefficient ratios, vectors, wind resistance, water tension, the current…….pencils were flashing like lightning and wearing down to the nub fast.

Hitherto unnoticed, sitting in the rear all alone with a stern look on his face, is a kid from my old neighborhood in Chicago. Let’s call him “Jack,” because that’s his name.
Muttering to himself, Jack takes off his leather jacket, wads it up and then ties the mooring line around his belt. He hands the end of it to you.
“Don’t let go of this, “ he says as he starts to clamber over the gunnels.
“Where are you going?” you ask, dumbfounded.
“Well obviously, Numb-nuts,” he says in his native tongue, ”Somebody’s got to patch the fucking hole in the fucking boat.”



The moral of the story is this:
Don't accept the limited choices presented in a false dilemma.
Think outside the boat.
And take action.

sj

8 comments:

CoyoteFe said...

I was going to ask:

1. How many could swim
2. Could the boat be patched from outside.
3. Is there a radio in this big boat?

And, me a silly Democrat.
My point is that everyone has ideas, and they need to:
1. Bring them to the table.
2. Don't take no for an answer when they are ignored.
:-)

CoyoteFe said...

I almos forgot!

Congratulations! You have received the "I Love Your Blog" Award!
Go here to pick it up: http://coyoteroad.blogspot.com/

Thanks for your wonderful blog!

Lori Skoog said...

SJ....very interesting...should I leave it at that? I grew up on Chautauqua Lake and I have a lot of experience rowing and bailing.
Lori

PS am I the beehive? This is the most fun I've had in a long time.....

Unknown said...

Interesting moral

Gayle said...

I like that moral...

Spartacus Jones said...

Thank you all for your comments!

sj

Tamara Baysinger said...

These allegories have made me laugh. And weep.

It was John Adams who said, "Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people; it is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

I fear he spoke the truth.

Spartacus Jones said...

Thanks, Tamara.

"None can love freedom heartily, but good men... the rest love not freedom, but license."

- John Milton


sj