Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Two Spartans

We were born, both of us, into a world not of our making.


Nor much to our liking.


It’s a world that suffocates the spirit.


It’s a world of lies, and only liars feel at home in it.


It’s a world in which we are embarrassing anachronisms and expendable commodities worth so much per pound.


It’s a world driven by greed and fear, a world that demands complete submission, evidenced by absolute, unthinking obedience.


But we have the defiance gene.


We fight back, not because we hope to win, but because fighting back is, in itself, victory.



For us, every day is Thermopylae.


Against overwhelming odds we battle to live and die with heart and soul true and free.


Together, we can fight much harder for much longer than either of us could fight all alone.


He has my back and I have his.


He’s not my horse.


He’s my comrade.



sj



7 comments:

BroomJockey said...

Nice picture. Finally, a shot of your eyes. Windows to the soul. Now, just a little smile. Horses love a good sense of humor in their humans!

Lori Skoog said...

SJ...another good look into your soul. However, I do think there are some good things about this world...especially people and animals. What are you doing to try and make this a better place? You are far too sensitive and caring to think all things are bad. I am very glad that you and your horse have each others backs....and I sure know you have staying power.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

As long as I have my horses the world is a good place...it is good because they are here and I am with them. Together we create a world that we love and enjoy

Spartacus Jones said...

Thanks, BroomJockey. I AM smiling.
:)


Lori, I never said "all things are bad." The wheels that don't squeak don't need any grease, That doesn't mean you should ignore the one that does. :)

Cactus Jack. I agree.
Every time you tell the truth, and every expression of love -- those are radical acts.


Thank to all for your comments.


sj

Unknown said...

Beautiful post. But what a sadness in it !
The people need so much education to think in the others instead of them first.
Nice you have found your comrade.

Tamara Baysinger said...

I love this, SJ. Everything about it. Even though it hurts.

T

Spartacus Jones said...

Merci, Le Cheval.

And thank you. Tamara.

Freedom is like phantom limb syndrome: it only hurts because it isn't there.

sj