Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I Want to Be in the Cavalry



My much-beloved brother sent me the link to this tune.
I'll tell you like told him...

This hits me lots of different wayse
Musically, it's very well done. Got that Irish reel/jig feel that gets you going; can hardly sit still, much less keep your toe quiet.
Lyrically, pretty good. Nice repeating line; great sing-along potential.
Gets stuck in your head.

I remember when I was young and stupid.
Just my kind of song.
If I had to choose, hell, yes, the cavalry.

But that was before I saw my first stiff.
Before my first real close call.
Before my "That could have been me" epiphany.
Since then I've learned that death isn't gallant or heroic or chivalrous.
It's just fucking permanent.
And yet....if I HAD to choose today, right this second -- hell, yes, cavalry.

The ending moment is a nice touch.
The drummer dropping his sticks.
The realization...

So I love this tune and I hate it.
Love it for the lure of gallantry.
Hate it for all the sad young men who have died in the vain pursuit of that gallantry.
And for all those who will.

sj

No comments: