Sunday, February 27, 2011

Giddy-up



If you're a horseperson you may be thinking about getting your mount in shape after a long winter of relative inactivity.
But how about yourself?
If you're "partners" with your horse it means an equal investment of time and energy. "You do the work, and I'll take the credit" isn't much of a "partnership."

I'm recovering from couple injuries.
Some on the outside.
Some on the inside.
The bottom line is that I've taken on some useless stress-induced weight and I have to drop it.

As I was going over my training plan, it struck me that you might benefit from some of these ideas, too. So I'll share one or two.

This one is a really important exercise.
In fact, you should do these even if you don't do a damn thing else.
It will limber and strengthen your lower body AND improve your cardio fitness when you do them fast and hard. You should master these before you attempt any weighted squats.
This video is a pretty good tutorial for a beginner.

One thing I like to do differently, is to keep my hands in the direct rein position, extending my arms when I go down, bringing them in when I come up --- yup: like a jockey.

If you make these a part of your routine, you'll be glad you did.

sj

2 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Good advise! SJ...how are you? Hope all is well. Injuries?

CG said...

I've been feeling the same way, that my mare is putting out the majority of effort in our partnership. I broke down and bought a rowing machine in January, so I can work out even when the weather is bad.
Now I'm feeling uncomfortable because I've been working out, while the ice, snow, and rain we've had out here in Wa have kept my mare off the trail for the last week!