Friday, August 15, 2008

The Story Behind the Song: Everything That I Love Best

I guess my idea of "the perfect woman" is a little different from the officially approved version.
Back when guys had pin-ups of Marilyn Monroe-types, mine was Katherine Hepburn.
Integrity.
Strength.
Courage.
In my book, those are the things that make a woman attractive.
They're qualities I respect in anyone, and it's as rare to find them in a woman as in a man.

I don't care much for hand-wringing weaklings or air-headed estrogen blobs.
"Cute" is a dime-a-dozen and the trouble with "pretty" girls is that they seem to think that's all they have to do in the world.
That's their big contribution.
They think being "pretty" entitles them to whatever they happen to want, without actually DOING anything to deserve it, without having to earn it, without having to work and sweat for it like everybody else.
Just smile, show a little cleavage and bat your eyelashes.
And, sadly, a lot of the time they're right.
I've seen too often the "pretty" girl get fawned over for doing NOTHING, while the "plain" girl works her butt off and gets no appreciation at all.

Ticks me off in a big way. Maybe you can tell.
I'll take brains and heart over "tits & ass, " anytime.

sj



Everything That I Love Best

She don’t giggle when she talks; she don’t wiggle when she walks;
She’s got a grip like steel and the eye of a hawk.
She don’t wear mascara, spike heels or clothes too tight;
She’s a header, she’s a healer; she’s hell in a fight.
She’s my kind of woman – you can have the rest
Damn, that girl’s everything that I love best!

She don’t pluck her eyebrows or shave her legs,
She knows what she wants but she never begs.
She wears a beat-up Stetson, baggy cowboy jeans.
She means what she says and she says what she means.
Got a chip on her shoulder – tattoos on her chest
Damn, that girl’s everything that I love best!

I’d like to tell her all the things she makes me feel
I’ve dreamed her so long it’s hard to believe she’s really real…

She’s cool in the saddle, she’s a bareback fool.
You wanna play a little poker, she’ll take you right to school.
She takes her whiskey straight and her coffee black;
If she ever gives her word, she never takes it back.
She’s a little like me and by now you’ve guessed,
Damn, that girl’s everything that I love best!

The first time I saw her I knew, like me, she was one of a kind.
Couldn’t help but thinkin’ what a pair we’d make and wouldn’t that be fine?

Now I been jerked around, I been down on my luck;
I lost my job, my dog, my mind and my truck.
I been tossed by bulls and I been stomped by broncs,
I been kicked out of all the better honky tonks,
But I still consider myself truly blessed ‘cause
Damn, I seem to be the thing that she loves best!

(spoken) – That is, except for her pony.
But you know I wouldn’t have that any other way…



Listen to the song here.

7 comments:

CoyoteFe said...

Well, it's safe to say that your version of the perfect woman is vastly different from the official AMERICAN pamphlet. We (that would be "we the people") WRITE about integrity, strength, courage, and independent thought, but we WATCH reality TV, Girls Gone Wild, anything else with implants (front and rear, thank you), and put six-year-olds in beauty pageants. The plastic surgery business is booming - not to mention the plastic-thinking industry. How ever do you expect to become president with such radical views?

Spartacus Jones said...

I'm hoping that there are still enough people like you around. :)

And I thought I'd go with telling the truth and being fair. Might work. Hard to say. Nobody's ever tried it.

sj

Lori Skoog said...

SJ -- The Saturday Democrat and Chronicle ran a story on the Finger Lakes Thoroughbred Adoption Center (Purple Haze). Check it out.
Lori

Spartacus Jones said...

Thanks for the tip, Lori.
I'll hunt it up.

sj

Tamara Baysinger said...

Ah, so there's at least one real man left in this world. Good to know, my friend, good to know.

This song is my favorite so far. Makes me smile because it's funny -- and because I actually believe you.

I hope that doesn't make me a fool. I'm a novelist, after all; I know what it is to write "in character"...but I also know that every character contains a generous dose of myself.

Spartacus Jones said...

Glad you like this one, T.

It's straight from the shoulder.

:)


sj

BroomJockey said...

I clicked on your link on the Fingerlakes web-site. Great song about the perfect woman. It's nice to know that there are more of us out there than Barbie dolls. I'd wear spiked heels if they didn't get stuck in the manure. And it's tough to match girl clothes with horse smudges. My friends are constantly picking hay out of my hair and no one will ride in my truck. Of course, people get out of my way when they see me coming anyway. Usually have a cell phone stuck to my ear, a jack russell on my leg hanging out the window, cup of coffee and a sweet cigar while I'm yelling at everyone to learn how to drive!! God bless American women!!! My only question is - Why no pictures of your face? Can't tell what's in someone's soul unless you can see their eyes. Just as you can't tell what a horse is thinking if you can't see his/her face. Great songs and lyrics!