Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Story Behind the Song: Shyla

Back in the day, I visited a “hippie” commune or two. What I remember is how hard some of them were trying to find a better way to live. A way with more joy, more love, more connectedness. Put aside jealousy, fear, anger.
No more crime.
No more war.
Tall order.

Of course, most of them didn’t have a clue how to go about it, either.
They were just kids.

Some thought the answer was marijuana – a magic potion that would enable you see something you’d miss otherwise. I disagreed, but they had a point. Sometimes you do need something outside yourself to bite you on the butt and force you to wake up and smell the coffee.

Some thought the answer was sex.
That’s a much better choice, in my opinion. But there was a whole lot more “using” than “sharing” going on as far as I could tell.
Not my thing.

That was a long time ago.
Yesterday’s “revolutionaries” all seem to have mellowed out, burned out, sold out or gotten out.
Not me.
Me, I’m still looking for the road Shangri-la.
Now, where’d I put that map…..?

sj

PS: Can't tell you who or what or where "Shyla" is; it's a secret. But if you guess right, I'll tell you privately.






Shyla

When the madness of the modern world surrounds you
When it closes in and you feel like you’re gonna drown
There’s a place where you can be free
Where the world is the way it should be
And you know that’s right here with me
And Shyla.

The way the earth’s been ravaged is a crime
We can heal her up one acre at a time
And what better thing can we do
Than to live what we know is true
So I want to be there with you
And Shyla

I know we both desire to save the suff’ring land
This is where we start to live our dreams and plans….

I’ve seen a lot of places, been around
Right here’s as good as any that I’ve found
So if you’d rather dance than fight
And lock all your doors at night
There’s a place where the livin’s right
As can be

What’s in the past is past; let it go
This is your home now I hope you know
Darlin’ I’m just tryin’ to show you,
You see

You belong right here with Shyla and me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful words. Well the times have changed from the hippies of the sixties.
Are we trying to find a better way of life or are we merely living, going where we can according to the circumstances ?

Spartacus Jones said...

Merci!

Times have changed but -- what's the saying "La plus que change la plus la meme chose.." (Pardon my poor FRENCH. I was educated in the US which may be tantamount to a learning disability.)

It's true we are buffeted by circumstances and must struggle to stay on course. But that's the point, no? Strength and courage are the result of struggle.

sj

Lori Skoog said...

A mare perhaps???

Lori Skoog said...

Hey SJ...where have you been? Thanks for the comments. This Journal stuff has kept me up late.
Lori