Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Story Behind the Song: Rainbow Pony

There’s no such thing as time when I’m with my pony.
A short visit can last all day and all night.
Sometimes we ride. Sometimes we just walk together.
Sometimes we do nothing particular, just graze and daze, California daydreaming on such an Autumn day...

And sometimes, as is true only of the closest friends, we enjoy being alone together.
There’s a spot on the hill over-looking the pastures, where I sometimes just sit and be.
And my pony will go about his day, pausing every once in a while to look my way.
See if I’m all right.

Sometimes he’ll amble over. Making a special trip just to munch a little grass by me.
Might stay for a while, then wander away again.

Today he came and stood by me.
Stood there a long time.
I scooted over to sit closer to him, and he bent down and nuzzled my cheek, twitching his nose like Samantha on Bewitched.
Then we gazed out over the rest of the herd together.
Watching over them, the wind running its soft fingers through his silken mane.


sj



Rainbow Pony

Rainbow Pony
She’s my one and only
A better friend than anyone else could be
When I’m astride her
I’m a rainbow rider
And she makes me feel like I’m free.

And we go – where nobody else can go
See things that nobody else can see
And we fly – like a shooting star across the sky
My Rainbow Pony and me.

When I get weary –
The world can make you weary –
With all the greed and hate and lies.
I don’t let it blind me.
I put it all behind me.
When I look into my Rainbow Pony’s eyes.

And we go – where nobody else can go
See things that nobody else can see
And we fly – like a shooting star across the sky
My Rainbow Pony and me.

Sometimes I wonder
If the sound of thunder
Is my Rainbow Pony’s herd.
One day, I reckon
That herd will beckon
And we’ll join-up without a word

And we’ll go – where nobody else can go
See things that nobody else can see
And we’ll fly – like a shooting star across the sky
My Rainbow Pony and me.

3 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

SJ you are Back! Did you sit out in the pasture with your pony today? It was beautiful here. Love the song, simple and right on....again. You know how to feel a horse.
Lori

CoyoteFe said...

So very nice.
You have this quiet kernel that seems to expand sometimes.

Interested in the significance of Wainbow. Warrior? Just wonderin'

Spartacus Jones said...

Thank you, Lori & Coyote.
:)

sj